There’s nothing more comforting than a soft, fluffy quilt and pillow. When kids are ill at home or in the hospital, they have to hang out in bed for a long time. You can help transform a child’s bed by adding a cozy, colorful quilt and pillow decorated with special messages and artwork. Your gift will help a child feel loved and supported and inspire them to heal. Imagine how much they will enjoy looking at all the different drawings and messages you created. This project is especially exciting because each person can decorate a quilt and pillow in their own unique way. For example, some people will pick a theme for the quilt and decorate all the patches with words or pictures about sports or nature. Other people have chosen the words from a nursery rhyme and illustrated it. To see photo gallery of the quilts and pillows click here. To get started watch the video or you can just read decorating instructions below. When you are finished decorating your quilt and pillow you can make a special SoaringBed message to tuck into your pillow pocket.
How to Decorate the Quilts and Pillows:
1. Read the Do’s and Don’ts below.
2. Use a piece of scrap paper to decide what you want to draw and write.
3. Fill up the whole white patch with your colorful drawing.
4. If you have a heart shaped pillow, use dark colors to decorate the front and the back of the pillow.
5. Make sure to include your name (first name is fine) on the bottom of your drawing.
Great Things to Say:
- Thinking of You
- You are a Star
- To Brighten Your Day
- Here’s a Big Smile for You
- Hurray for You!
- Hip Hip Hurray!
- You’re Important
- Sending You a ___________(name the thing you drew. It can be a rainbow, a panda, a poem, etc.)
- Sending You Healing Energy
- Sending You Love
- Sending You a Giant Hug
- Sending You a Joke (you can write a joke…Corny, easy to understand ones are the best)
- Or, write your own message
Great Ideas for Artwork:
- Space theme with planets
- Animals (dogs, fish, pandas, ladybugs and other animals)
- Nature (rainbow, sun, trees, flowers, beach, mountains, clouds)
- Sports (basketball, baseball, hockey, football)
- Popular figures (Sponge Bob, The Simpsons, Superheroes)
- Words in bubble letters like COOL, LOVE
Great Theme Suggestions: • That 70s Quilt and Pillow • Lost at the Zoo • Why did the Chicken Cross the Road and Other Funny Business • Hope You Love my Stick Figures •My work should be in the Metropolitan Museum of Art • NASA would be proud of my artwork • Under the sea
Things NOT to Say:
- Hope you get better soon
- Get better soon
- Get well soon
- Hope you can go home soon
- Hope you are not in pain
- Don’t say anything religious like “God loves you…” or draw angels, since the patient may be from another religious background.
After You Decorate: You can give your special quilt and pillow to someone who is ill. Or, you can contact Soaringwords and we will collaborate with you have the quits and pillows donated to your local hospital.