Movies are a powerful way to take us somewhere special
We can travel to a different country, explore a different universe, visit a different time in history or even a different time in the future! Movies are an amazing way to do so many creative things without leaving our chair or our bed! SoaringMovies shares several of our favorite classic movies as well as new movies that are coming into theaters. You and your family can watch the movie together and then everyone can enjoy creating cool projects inspired by these movies.
Movie Activity 1: “Hugo” Based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Hugo is an orphan who lives in the train station of Paris during the 1930s. The movie has an inspiring message that Hugo shares. “I imagine the whole world as one big machine. Machines never come with extra parts. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figure if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn’t be an extra part. I have to be here for a reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason too.” Hugo creates the most amazing inventions… ever.
- Hugo fixes machines and tinkers with them. He works on the Automaton, a mysterious mechanical robot-man. Now it’s your chance to become an inventor and create your very own invention. Think about something cool that you can invent. Use Soaringwords border to draw a picture of your invention, write a story about it.
- What was your favorite part of the movie? Why?
- Hugo and Isabelle have a marvelous adventure in the movie. Use Soaringwords border to draw a picture or write a story about a special adventure you’d like to go on.
- Share your adventure with Soaringwords and we will share it with children in the hospital to cheer them and motivate them to write their own adventures.
This movie deals with cancer and portrays a lot of feelings. The character Janice discovers she has lekemia and it shows the effect the illness has on her family and friends.
- How did this movie make you feel?
- How did the friends come together to make their friend feel supported?
- Use Soaringwords border to draw Snoopy and your favorite characters from the movie.
- Make your own cartoon strip filing in the boxes.
- Above each figure you draw in the boxes, make a bubble over the head and write in a message.
The movie tells the story of Simba, a young lion who is to take his father Mufasa’s place as king. However, after Simba’s uncle Scar kills Mufasa, he must stop his uncle from conquering the Pride Lands and avenge his father.
- How is Simba brave? How did Simba find the strength to carry on? Sometimes things happen in life that make us sad. How did Simba remember what his father taught him in the “Circle of Life” and how did this help him save the community?
- Use Soaringwords border to draw your favorite characters from the Lion King.
- Create a family crest by putting in the things that represent your family. You can put in bubble letters from your last name, flowers from your state, your favorite kind of tree or bird, or other cool symbols that remind you of your family.
This film is about a fox who steals food at night from three mean farmers. The farmers try to capture the fox and his family but with the help of his friends they are able to outwit the farmers.
- What is the motto or message of this movie?
- Make a poster for your hospital room or to give to another child based on this motto. Use bright colors and you can also use cut outs and stickers.
- How does the movie inspire you to “Never give up?”
- Use Soaringwords border draw a scene from the movie.
- Who was your favorite character and why did you choose this one?
- Create a new character for the movie.
- Have a Harry Potter Movie Marathon!
- Harry is a wizard but he is also a human being with feelings.
- How do his friends and community support him?
- Who is your favorite character and why?
- What was your favorite scene?
- Can you draw a picture from the movie?
- Use Soaringwords border to design your very own seal for a Quidditch uniform.